Sunday, January 22, 2017

Problematic Review: Max by Sarah Cohen-Scali



Found On: Twitter

The Problem: A whole bunch of sheep in Twitter were offended by the cover. They decided (without reading it naturally) Max was a problematic book, that "Normalizes Nazis.". I even saw one Twitter user apologize to all her Jewish friends. I honestly thing it is stupid to criticize a book for normalizing Nazis. Nazis were normal people like you, and me. This is what makes is so damn scary!

The Review:

Wow what a ride! I had no idea what to make of this book at first. Max is a baby, but he has the mentality of an adult. He remembers being in the womb and he can understand pretty much everything going on around him. It was kind of hard to get used to at first. I did eventually get used to it.

What I enjoyed most about this book was definitely, the relationships that Max develops throughout his childhood. Some of the stuff that happens with his mother is absolutely heartbreaking. This book made me cry on several occasions. He also develops a friendship with an older Jewish boy. Through this friendship, Max begins to question the things he has been brainwashed into believing.

Max doesn't not deserve to be considered a problematic book. There was nothing in this book that was pro-Nazi. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I suggest that all you Twitter sheep stop judging this book by its cover!

Amount of Times I Cried: At least 6.

Rating: 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment